A Hedonist's Guide to the Five Senses

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Rise of Coconut Oil

Coconut oil roasted yams - photo by NYTimes.com


A belated re-post from the Times dining section. It seems more people are catching on to my best friend, coconut oil. In its unrefined form, thick coconut oil is nutritious, moisturizing and antibiotic, and has featured in my kitchen and bathtub since I started first reading Michael Pollen and the Know Your Fats guru, Dr. Mary Enig.

Plus, it's unbelievably delicious.

Once a Villain, Coconut Oil Charms the Health Food World

By Melissa Clark

A FEW years ago I noticed something odd at the health food store. There, rubbing elbows with the extra-virgin olive oil and cold-pressed canola oil was virtually the last fat I expected to see in such esteemed company: coconut oil. 

The last time I checked, coconut oil was supposed to be the devil himself in liquid form ...

(Continue reading at nytimes.com)
 

 

1 Comments:

Anonymous Meghana said...

My grandmother used to put coco. oil in my hair as a kid (and still uses it in hers)! I've never actually tried to cook with it, yet.

April 1, 2011 at 8:23 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home