A Hedonist's Guide to the Five Senses

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Repost: The superstar chef who couldn't taste


Grant Achatz (photo by beall + thomas)


I've mentioned before that I'm not much for the tell-tale signs of the "molecular gastronomy" movement - namely foams, gels, gums and gravity-defying charcuterie - but this recent article from Salon on Alinea's Grant Achatz, and news on his new memoir, definitely merits reposting. Enjoy!

By Francis Lam

"At some point during my first meal at Grant Achatz's restaurant Alinea, I started giggling. There had been no joke - I just started giggling. Soon, I was bouncing up and down in my seat, laughing almost uncontrollably, and then  suddenly teetered on the edge where I didn't know if I might start crying. I was, as they say, emotional, and I couldn't exactly say why. Three years later, I returned with my special ladyfriend, and, at some point during our dinner, she took a bite, skipped the giggling, and just started crying. And looking around the room, we were not the only ones to feel this way. I don't use this word lightly, but it takes a genius to create meals like that.

(Continue reading this article, care of Salon.com)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home